3/12/08

Stop Watching, Start Reading

Are authors celebrities? I guess it depends on the popularity of the books they have written-- like J.K. Rowling for instance. Instead of actors and reality TV stars, who build their status through the small and big screens, authors must work hard to write something unique which others will notice and appreciate. Thankfully however, authors are not usually obnoxious extroverts seeking the limelight-- we have enough of those already. But some authors must be prepared for fame, since many times after their books are published they do not know how well it will sell. Yet, if it flies off the shelves, there will be millions of eager fans waiting to meet them for autographs and book discussions. Stephenie Meyer for example, is one of my favorite authors and had no idea her novels would become as famous as they did. Now it seems she is always touring not only the country, but the world! And in only a few short months, she is coming to Minneapolis! The chance to meet the women from whose mind sprang the seductive vampire Edward Cullen and shy, lovable Bella Swan, would be absolutely amazing! Looking around at the many books in my room however, I realize just how many authors I have already met and how lucky I have been to do so. In elementary school, authors would constantly come to speak to us, and at the time, I remained only the slightest bit interested. But I'm not sure if Kate DiCamillo would visit a school full of pesky kids again after her book Because of Winn-Dixie was made into a blockbuster hit starring Annasophia Robb. When I met her though, she seemed to enjoy children, so I'm sure she is still making tours to various schools. Some more authors I met throughout my time in elementary school were Megan McDonald for Judy Moody, Mary Casanova for Cecile, Gates of Gold, and William Durbin for The Broken Blade. I also recall hearing Katherine Patterson speak to my peers and I about her book Bridge to Terabithea. I recall the story she recounted to us about where she got the idea for her book. I cannot remember the details, but it was something along the lines of her son's good friend being electrocuted while swimming in a lightening storm. This sounds tragic to say the least, but if you are familiar with the story, it too is tragic at times. What I'm really trying to say is, authors are some of the best celebrities around!

1 comment:

Kate said...

that's really interesting. I remember all those authors too, but yeah I didn't care at the time. Now it's like "ah! that would be so cool!" Wasn't Annasophia Robb in Winn-Dixie?