3/20/08

What Happens?

In preparing for writing my short story, I perused other free writes on my computer which I began in my spare time. Creative writing is my favorite part about english class, and so though this assignment can be tiring, it is also fun and rewarding. Anyway, I found this on my lap top a few days ago. I believe I wrote it after finishing the Blue is for Nightmares series by Laurie Faria Stolarz and was itching to write an intriguing, romantic mystery novel of my own. I did not get very far however-- in fact I barely it past the first paragraph! But this introduction really caught my attention when I reread it, and I wish I had kept writing because I found myself dying to know what happened next! Here it is, feel free to comment and tell me what you think: "I feel like I’m going to be sick. My head is spinning, my thoughts tumbling around my brain, making my head throb with pain. I try to relax my mind by massage my temples, but my head still feels like it weighs a million pounds. I slowly stand up, lifting myself from the sticky girl’s bathroom floor, my wobbly knees shaking from fear. I unlock the stall I’ve been hiding in and stare at myself in the mirror that stands on the counter directly in front of me. I look horrible, even for 3:00 in the morning. My thick black hair is in clumps, making it look like I’ve matted it with hairspray. My eyes have dark circles around them because of not washing my mascara off before going to bed. And one of my earrings is missing. I’m scared to go outside, and walk a quarter of a mile by myself in the dark back to my cabin, but I know I can’t stay here the rest of the night, my little campers are waiting for their counselor to come back and protect them from the big bad wolves that live in the Virginia woods. But, how can I protect them, make them feel safe, when I have my own wolves to be afraid of?" (Unknown, Kerwin). It would be cool if anyone had ideas of their own as to who this character is and what she is afraid of. Use your bright minds and creativity people!

No comments: