3/16/08

Trudging Along

Much to my annoyance, The Life of Pi is coming along rather slowly. There are about two weeks left until the end of third quarter and I am not even a third of the way through the novel. Don't get me wrong, I like this book, but it does not grip my attention the way my typical romantic mystery books do. And yet, this is why I chose this book-- because I thought it would be different. Well, as of page seventy-eight, the main character Pi has become a practicioner of three religions: muslim, hinduism, and christianity. His parents have a hard time understanding this, as do his local priest, imam, and pandit. Yet when confronted about this, Pi wisely answers " 'Bapu Gandhi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God,' " While the priest, imam, and pandit had been bickering about whose religion was better, Pi's comment ceased their arguments and even made them seem a bit foolish. I admire Pi's maturity at such a young age (about the age I am now) and wonder if more of this book will focus around religion.

No comments: