12/16/07

Much Ado About Nothing

Eight hours later.... I am back from a day of skiing at Highlands which consisted of me and my good friends Sasha and Lauren mono-skiing and eating a total of eleven donuts. Mono-skiing is difficult at first, but lots of fun! By experiencing it, I was able to sense a little how paraplegics might feel, which was interesting, educational, but also strange. Anyway, Much Ado About Nothing is the Shakespeare play I blogged about early and that my class has begun reading. I really like the play's title; it's fun to say and fits the plot perfectly. However, the story is hard to understand- it is almost as if it is written in another vernacular. (I like that word too.) The jokes are hard to comprehend, as well as the characters' emotions! Therefore, I was pleased to find that the Barnes & Noble sponsored website, Sparknotes, has a line by line translation of the text!!! I plan to find sections of the play I don't understand and then look them up on the site. Since the play is all confusing at the moment, I can't really say if I like it or not, but I am very excited to see what happens when Benedick and Beatrice (two stubborn and haughty people) are set up together. I'm also excited to watch the next scene of the movie!

4 comments:

Daphni said...

nice vocab cat..
haughty
vernacular
those are some pretty spiffy words :D

usasha92 said...

catherehathathaineinreine!
you are a good friend of mine as well. actually a great friend of mine.
sooo... i just wanted to say that we were fatties. with the donuts. that was between US, man, not the three of us.
lauren is not a pig.
youre not either.
neither am i, in fact!
but we were THAT day.
ohh well, we worked it off.

what a horrible feeling, people thinking that youre a paraplegic when youre... not. im glad i know kind of what the feeling is like now...... weve porbably mistaken someone in the past for having a disability when really they were just experiencing the sensations associated with the limit of bidy movement.
this is a long comment.

Lauren said...

Haha yeah I agree with how the jokes are hard to understand, it doesn't quite seem like a comedy to me...but also the emotions are very difficult to detect! I can never tell if they are acting angry, sad, happy, or whatever emotion Shakespeare is trying to display. I suppose this job is up to the actors but you would think it would be easier to tell. And also I always think it's going to turn into a tragedy like Romeo and Juliet, it's like stressful but I am like it's okay it's only a comedy.

The Magical Unicorn said...

allo catherine!
nice post! I agree with the confusing-ness of the plot and emotions of the characters. I can't really say if i like it or not either. and i must agree with kisa, your use of vocabulary was very nice :D
happy break!
~ashley