12/8/07

Shakespeare Time

This week (precisely on Friday afternoon), I visited Valley View, my old and cherished middle school. I was very excited to connect with my ninth grade English teacher Mrs. Brua- finally getting the chance to be one of those "older and cool highschoolers" who stick their head into past teacher's classroom's to say hi. I learned SO much in language arts last year; my teacher, my peers and the course made the class something to look forward to. Surprisingly enough, the day I re encountered Mrs. Brua, we began studying Shakespeare in my current language arts class. Why so surprising you ask? Well it just so happens that the last unit we were taught in ninth grade was that of Romeo & Juliet. I loved listening to the play on tape in class, and enjoyed watching the 1960s movie even more! (Romeo was very handsome- I would describe him as a look alike to Zac Efron- though they are not related.) After my excursion that day, I was delighted to learn that we would begin reading another one of Shakespeare's plays, the title of which I am currently at a loss for. It will be a nice change after working hard on a big ethics paper. We have not started reading yet; instead we watched an introductory movie, Shakespeare in the classroom, created by the actors from the blockbuster hit, Shakespeare in Love. It was an interesting movie about the playwright, but mostly made me want to see the film! In summary, I am avidly awaiting this new Shakespeare unit. His writings are timeless and beautiful (which sounds very corny, but is true)! I just hope that his next work I study is as good as the tale of Romeo & Juliet.

1 comment:

Squimp said...

Omg the 1960's R & J.... YES that was amazing. >D Lol best way to end off the year. :D